Wednesday 13 April 2011

Jack the Rare Breed, Supporters lifted, haters silenced and Cheerleaders wanted!

It's been a while since my last post. I suppose I entered a sort of 'blog depression' during 3 weeks of misery, turmoil and disappointment. So I gaffer taped my Netbook's keyboard and left well alone. There were so many blogs, articles, tweets etc throwing opinions around about the doom and gloom and then;
Gooner 'Civil War' broke out.

I did my best to keep my trap shut. I realised that constructive criticism and objectivity amongst positive supporters could not be forced down the throats of fans who have every right to voice their opinions, even if those opinions were utter belly button fluff.

There are more positive Gooners out there than negative ones. Various names have been lobbed about regarding the negative fans and their rants; Plastics, Part-time fans, Fans but not Supporters etc.

I'm leaving people like that to it. I have lost patience with people like that and don't want to waste my time on them any more.

It has been a tough time. Points lost with draws that should have been wins, yet still unbeaten in 2011 in the league & also dumped out of 3 competitions.

Yes it has been disappointing but I simply keep reminding myself of the following;


  • We have no RIGHT to win ANY trophy or to EXPECT to win a trophy. Yet we've come so close so many times. There are only 4 of them available amongst 20 teams after all.
  • We have been punching way above our weight for years given the financial resources we've had, the age and experience of the squad and in some cases the vomit inducing bad luck we've encountered.
  • Our closest rivals have spent and lost hundreds of millions to win their rewards when we've built a new home and shown how a club should be run in a self sustainable, future proof way which is common sense in such a delicate worldwide economic climate. Yet we're the only ones that tend to come away with a yearly profit!
  • I've even been able to buy shares of the club I love so much (and certainly intend to keep them; Silent Stan!). 


Maybe it's the way I've been brought up, but I always try to appreciate what I have and enjoy the simple things. For me, finishing in the top four every season, watching beautiful football and the way a young, inexperienced team are slowly learning together, living the drama of the ups and downs with them, is something to be appreciated.

To me, Football is about being entertained and winning a trophy is a reward for the team who does the best within a given season. We may not have 'quite' been good enough, but I have certainly been entertained!

This week has seen the doom clouds lift. A little at least!

We celebrated a win against Blackpool like it was a 15-0 drubbing of neighbours Spuds. (slight exaggeration there) That sums it all up.
Beating relegation fodder, who were extremely unlucky in my eyes, made us all feel fantastic!

News that RVP (arguably our MVP at the moment) had given Diaby a Rollicking Robin at half time over his short tempered, petulant kicking away of the ball, was music to my ears. Finally some fight, grit, and leadership shown from another player apart from Jack!

Lehman's presence was clearly a factor too. Seeing him belching out orders to the team was like taking a step back in time (as was seeing him take out a striker!) and hopefully his presence in the dressing room will inspire and teach #1 WoyChez (pronounced: Vouchers) a few more things for when he returns, hopefully against Liverpool if recent reports from Arsenal's medical team are accurate.

It felt good again with an important win, though I hope Blackpool stay up. They have been brilliant this season and I love watching them play. There are many other teams that should be in their place, Stoke being just one of them.

Then there was the news that tore me in two.

Stan Kroenke takes control of Arsenal.

The amount of times my chest and throat has felt like a boxing ring, when I've had to step in between my heart and my brain as they do bloody battle 'Rocky 2' style over my feelings about AFC being taken over by a sugar daddy, I don't know.

But after 24 hours of mixed feelings, research and inner deliberation, I've decided that Stan Kroenke is NOT a Sugar Daddy and that his increased interest in the club could really be a good thing.

Wenger haters out there may laugh at me for this, but the main catalyst into my positive thinking about this is down to Wenger. When he stated that he was behind the move and backed the man himself, I felt relieved.


"I have worked with Stan Kroenke at board meetings over the past couple of years and I believe he has the best interests of Arsenal at heart............He understands the club's heritage and traditions and our ambition to run the club in a way which protects our long-term future."

This statement alone was enough for me.

There are other details still to be ironed out;

Will Usmanov sell or keep his shares? According to James Olley of the London Evening Standard, he has already refused to, though no official statement has been released by 'Red and White Holdings' as yet.

In some ways, this could be good as it would help protect the 'Fanshare' position by ensuring we wouldn't be forced to sell our shares to make Kroenke the 'Sole' owner.
The AST have already met with Kroenke and made it clear that 'Fanshare' holders, including myself, wish to keep control of these shares. All seems amicable at present though and the consensus is that everyone is working as a team.

The future looks even brighter now me thinks. Wenger's spending policy won't change much but we'll still have our stability plus he'll have the extra flexibility to flex the financial muscle should he need or want to.

Rumours of a promised £40m war chest are just that, rumours.

But I hope if a Premiership experienced prospect such as Scott Parker, who has been immense this season and reminds me of legend Ray Parlour in regards to his work ethic and under-rated technical ability, or if Jagielka or Cahill became available, I'd like to think that despite the fact that they're English and will undoubtedly be over priced, we would still have more room for negotiation if any other money bags sugar daddy plaything clubs tried to barge in on the action.

Off the Field:


I came across an interesting take on the saga by Jeffrey Goldfarb of 'Reuters breaking Views'. Worth a read if you would like an alternative perspective from the States.

I also came across an interesting video regarding Arsenal's use of technology to stream highlights of the game and other features straight to Sony PSP whilst in the stadium! At the time of release it was apparently being considered for trial but I don't know if it's happening now or at later date or even if it's been scrapped as I have a feeling an Android/Ipad/Iphone streaming App. would have been more popular anyway. 


Nevertheless, imagine when you're at the Grove, stuck in a queue for a beer, burger or dump, you can watch highlights of the 15 goals Arsenal had just put past the Spuds in the first half! Awesome!

Jack Wilshere made a bold statement on Twitter regarding his future;

"People asking if im going city? I dont kiss the Arsenal badge then leave <3 this club in my heart!"


All I can say is I never doubted the lad once!
He seems to be a one in a million, a rare breed and possibly the first player since Tony Adams, to be a career Arsenal Player, barring his loan spells of course.

He is definitely a future captain for club and country and we all know he'll wear the armband with pride. He has a lot to learn still and we can expect ups and downs but all in all, Jack sums up the pride and honour I feel in being affiliated with 'The Arsenal'.


Clichy has also apparently quashed rumours of an exit this summer with some telling statements. Welcome news to most Gooners I'm sure. (click on the link to read more)


Next up is a massive game against Liverpool at the Grove. Liverpool worked very hard (take a leaf lads) against albeit a poor Man City and I have to admit after their tremendous performance, coupled with our fluctuating flatulent form, I am a little worried, almost to the point of: Arsenal Performances+Flatulence = Unexpected PooAnyone got a spare adult Diaper? (a nappy in English terms but diaper sounds better) 

I'm not thinking about the game after on the Wednesday as that could well be deemed a formality should we not beat Liverpool. It all rests on those boring shits Manure, having one final blip as we reach the tail end  of the season.

Til then;
Positive vibes a must, roaring fans required, both home and away, especially at home (the away fans deserve an award for the best travelling Premiership fans of the season in my biased, but fairly accurate book).

Til next time, here are some of Mr Kroenke's Cheerleaders from Arsenal's sister team and current MLS Champions, the Colorado Rapids:


Do you reckon he'd lend a few of em to us to cheer us up if needed, especially the third one! ;-)


Gimme an 'A'

Gimme an 'F'

Gimme a 'C' & WaddaYaGet?
A Fit Cheerleader!
(*My thanks to YCJ for the images)


Please comment, pass on, and join me on my Twitter page where I will be giving away an Arsenal T-shirt randomly once I reach 1000 followers!

Also join me on Facebook as well as the Arsenal Ranter FC 1886 Daily Edition:

Adieu!









1 comment:

  1. Well thought out argument. Personal, yet on point. Like your personal reminder bullet points, things certain fans are too complacent about!

    Re:Stan Kroenke, Holding my breath, but feel Arsene must have idea whether or not he 'gets' the club way, and if he doesn't, Arsene can handle him :)

    Re:Players,Top clubs want them snm!

    Rest of Season Miracle: Arsenal win 4 gain 12pts total 76pts. ManU lose 2 draw 2 gain 2pts total 75pts. Chelsea win 1 lose 3 gain 3pts total 70pts. Arsenal Champions!! Now THAT'S positive thinking LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your negative or positive feedback and comments here: No Spammers please. Any links not related to Arsenal FC will be removed.